3 large egg whites
½ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 ½ tsp cocoa powder
¼ cup (20g) slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Using a hand mixer, beat egg whites until very frothy. In a single stream, add the ½ cup of granulated sugar. Beat until stiff, glossy peaks form.
- While base meringue is mixing, rub the cocoa powder into the ¼ cup granulated sugar so that there are no lumps. Fold the cocoa mixture and slivered almonds, by hand, into
- egg white mixture. Either pipe the mixture into desired shapes, or use a large spoon to form mounds onto a sheet pan lined with a silpat or parchment paper glued down with meringue.
- Bake in preheated oven until outside is crisp, with the inside still moist, about 45 minutes.
- Before serving dust with cocoa powder or icing sugar.
Holiday twist: Replace slivered almonds with crushed candy canes and before baking sprinkle tops with green and red sprinkles.
Makes 9 meringues.
Nutritional Analysis per Serving (1 meringue)
85 calories, 1.5 g fat, 17 g carbohydrate, 1.7 g protein, 0.5 g fibre, 0 mg sodium
For more healthy recipes, as well as practical tips to maintain health during the holiday season, purchase the Revive Wellness Holiday Survival Guide for $9.99 online or locally at the Revive Wellness Office (3728-91 Street)