A healthy beef tenderloin that transcends that other (less-waist-friendly) versions and sends your tastebuds into overdrive.
4 strips of bacon, cooked until crisp and crumbled
1 tbsp canola cooking oil (or can use 1 tbsp drippings from bacon)
1 cup fresh mushrooms chopped into small pieces
2 tbsp chopped onion
2 cloves of minced garlic
2 tbsp fresh minced parsley
¾ cup dried bread crumbs (divided into ½ cup and ¼ cup portions)
1 beef tenderloin (1 kg)
2 tbsp melted butter/margarine
2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- Sauté mushrooms, onion and garlic in bacon drippings or oil until tender.
- Stir in ½ cup bread crumbs, parsley and crumbled bacon. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Slit beef tenderloin lengthwise ¾ deep.Open the slit and lightly pack the stuffing into the tenderloin.
- Use toothpick or cut up skewers to close.
- Combine melted butter/margarine with parmesan cheese, spread over the top and sides of meat.
- Take remaining ¼ cup bread crumbs and spread over the meat, pressing into the butter/cheese.
- Place on a cookie sheet or shallow roasting pan. Cook uncovered at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Cover with foil or lid and bake for 1 hour or until meat reaches desired doneness.
Let stand for 10 minutes before removing toothpicks and slicing to serve.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional analysis per serving:
263 calories, 12.3 g fat, 10.8 g carbohydrate, 26.2 g protein, 0.8 g fibre, 326 mg sodium
For more healthy recipes, as well as practical tips to maintain health during the holiday season, purchase the Revive Wellness Holiday Survival Guide for $9.99 online or locally at the Revive Wellness Office (3728-91 Street)