First long weekend of the summer, here we come! Enjoy the warm weather and check out all the summer festivals happening this weekend. Happy Canada Day!
Concerts of all sizes hit stages across Edmonton for the last few days of the Edmonton Jazz Festival. Not familiar with jazz? Even better - it's all about jazz for everyone. Full schedule and tickets here.
Art and design is alive in downtown Edmonton for the last weekend of The Works festival. Nineteen sites around downtown are hosting exhibits, events, workshops, and performances until July 2. Download the full guide here and plan your days ahead.
Improvaganza will have you laughing til you cry every night until the finals on Saturday. Improv groups from around the world participate in this seriously funny week long riot. Secure your tickets here.
Shakespeare + the great outdoors = Freewill Shakespeare. Until July 21, enjoy a performance of King Lear or A Midsummer Night's Dream (alternating days) at the Heritage Amphitheatre in Hawrelak Park. Don't worry, it's covered if it's raining! Tuesday nights and Saturday Matinees are pay-what-you-will. Check the schedule here.
Canada Day Celebrations
The fireworks in the River Valley will commence at 11pm. Here are some good spots to view them from:
- Alberta Legislature Grounds
- Victoria Park (River Valley Road)
- Ezio Faraone Park (west entrance to High Level Bridge on 109 St. north)
- Dantzer’s Hill (below Queen Elizabeth Park)
- Government House Park (Groat Road & River Valley Road)
- Telus Field is offering a reduced admission price of $4 per person after the 8th inning of the Edmonton Prospects vs. the Saskatoon Yellow Jackets game for those who wish to view the fireworks. Food concessions will be open until 10:30pm
Party like it's 1905! Join the Dominion Day celebrations at Fort Edmonton Park. Each street has celebrations from each time period, and a parade will bring them all together.
The Alberta Legislature will be bustling with Canada Day activities - tours of the building, the pools are open, and over 20 live acts will perform. Opening Ceremony is on the front steps at noon.
City Hall and Churchill Square will be hosting plenty of free family fun - tours of city hall every 45 minutes and live music and visual arts performances. More info and a schedule can be found here.
*Photo found here