Stay + Vacation = Staycation.
An oxymoron, yes. But it makes for a great weekend break.
When Metterra gave us the opportunity to stay overnight in the middle of Whyte Avenue, of course we couldn't turn it down. It was a lot more than a one-night stay in a boutique hotel. It gave us the chance to think about a weekend in Edmonton in a different way.
If you were visiting Edmonton and staying in the heart of Old Strathcona, what would you do? The brainstorming was so fun. Here are the recommendations we make:
- On Saturday, start off with breakfast from Old Strathcona Farmers' Market, and pick up some snacks for later on in the day.
- Wander through the one-of-a-kind shops along Whyte Avenue (obviously).
- Lunch at Dadeo. Mmm... sweet potato fries...
- Head over to Vivid Print to pick out a uniquely Edmonton souvenir like a Jason Blower print or provincial archive photo.
- Before dinner, take advantage of Metterra's complimentary wine and cheese (every day except Sunday from 5:30-6:30pm)
- For dinner, make the trek to Three Boars, or go around the corner to Packrat Louie
- After dinner activities could be: an art house film at Princess Theatre, live music at Yardbird Suite, or a local play at Varscona Theatre or Catalyst Theatre.
- If you still have time before midnight, stop in at Murrietta's for a night cap.
- In the morning, wake up refreshed and enjoy brunch at The Next Act or Under the High Wheel
Knowing that we were staying in the hotel and not having a car around really made us feel like we were on vacation. A big thanks to Metterra and Old Strathcona for hosting us!